The Council of Class Presidents
The Council of Class Presidents (COCP) provides class presidents with a forum to discuss issues and initiatives of common interest to the classes and develop recommendations for proposed action. Additionally, COCP facilitates dialogue between the class presidents and Naval Academy and Alumni Association and Foundation officials.
COCP is independent of but closely associated with the Alumni Association and Foundation; it has its own charter, which conforms to the bylaws of the Alumni Association. COCP meets twice annually in support of the scheduled meetings of the Board of Trustees, or as required.
COCP also offers an equitable way to select class presidents for service as class trustees on the Board of Trustees of the Alumni Association. With a few exceptions, each decade (e.g., the classes from 1950 to 1959) elects one of its class presidents as the decade representative to conduct business within the decade. Seven members of the Board of Trustees are from the ranks of class presidents:
- 30's & 40's Decade: CAPT Victor Delano, USN (Ret.) '41 through Spring 2014
- 50's Decade: VADM Henry Mustin, USN (Ret.) '55 through Spring 2014
- 60's Decade: RADM Jerome (Jerry) F. Smith, Jr. , USN (Ret.) '61 through Spring 2014
- 70's Decade: CAPT Glen O. Woods, USN (Ret.) '78 through Spring 2014
- 80's Decade: Ingar Grev '89 through Spring 2014
- 90's Decade: Joseph L. Moreno '93 through Spring 2014
- 00's Decade: LT Joshua W. Welle, USN '02 through Spring 2014
The most effective way to contact class trustee is through your class president. Class trustees advise class presidents of any questions or issues raised by a member of another class. Significant issues for review and subsequent vote at COCP meetings are submitted through the decade of the individual who submits an issue paper. Procedures for submitting an issue paper may be found in FAQs.