Table of Contents



Stanley Wagenhals
Click for larger image

Stan was born in Minneapolis. His first assignment after graduation was to the four-stack light cruiser OMAHA (CL-4), then operating with the Atlantic Fleet. OMAHA gained some headline prominence when she intercepted a Nazi freighter attempting to smuggle contraband materials into Germany from the Orient. Stan was one of the boarding officers, who with other officers and enlisted men, salvaged the vessel, after an attempted sinking by her captain. He transferred from this oldest to the newest class light cruiser, SAN JUAN (CLAA-54), about a month before the Pearl Harbor attack. The ship was dispatched to the Pacific theater upon completion of shakedown. Stan was SAN JUAN's radio officer during the heavy naval action off Savo Island and Guadalcanal in which four U.S. cruisers were sunk by the Japanese. SAN JUAN proved her mettle as an antiaircraft cruiser when she shot down three torpedo planes before they could release their "fish". Flight training came in late 1942, with VF operational training affording the most fun. But the exhilaration was not to endure, for upon arrival at his first assignment as VF-47's executive officer, he crash landed an F-6F and was hospitalized for an extended period. 1945-47 found Stan aboard INTREPID (CV-II) and in 1947-49 at NAS Alameda servicing engines overworked from the Berlin airlift, and the Navy's first jet engines. While at Alameda, he developed a station boxing team that produced an All Navy Lightweight Champion.

In 1949, he reported to CINCLANTFLT as Fleet Athletic Officer. While on this assignment, he met and married Betty Ballard Lewis, Miss Virginia 1949. He subsequently served as XO HYADES (AF), Engineer Officer LEYTE (CV), CO TIMMERMAN (DD) and CO VOGELGESANG (DD) before reporting to BuOrd for shore duty in 1956. Stan, Betty, Patty (7), Eddy (4), and Bobby (2) enjoyed an overseas tour at NAS Sangley Point, Philippines, in 195&1960. Shore duty as BUWEPSREP at Eastman Kodak in Rochester, NY, and a second tour at BuWeps (formerly BuOrd) preceded retirement from active duty in February, 1963.

The family remained in the Washington area for twenty years after Stan's retirement, He earned a masters degree at George Washington University. He taught in Fairfax County High Schools for seventeen years and Springfield High School for a time before retirement in 1980. After the children became independent, Stan and Betty bought a thirty-foot sailing sloop, named her "Miss Virginia", and sailed her 3000 miles in the Chesapeake, up and down the Atlantic Coast, and out to the Bahamas. Their last ride in her was from Annapolis to the Knoxville, TN, area via the Hudson River, Erie Canal, Great Lakes, Chicago River, Illinois River, Mississippi, Ohio and Tennessee Rivers, to provide a two week visit with daughter Patty's family in Bristol, VA. They enjoyed the Bristol area so much they decided to make it their retirement home. They sold their Alexandria, VA, home and sold the sloop. In June, 1988, Stan and Betty took a three-week trip to Israel with a group of students and professors from Bristol's King College.


My room mate at the Academy for three years, "Hiram" Walker did not graduate with '40. As he was in '40 much longer, I thought mentioning him in our yearbook would be appropriate, as he was certainly better known to our classmates than to those of 41. Hiram spent first class year in the Naval Academy Hospital, actually graduating with '41. Following graduation, he was sent to NEW ORLEANS. He was in main plotting room of that ship when it was sunk at Savo Island, and due to his small stature, was one of the only if not the only one to escape. Disabled emotionally from this experience, he finished the war teaching an NROTC unit at Northwestern University, retiring afterwards. He became a dentist, living in his old hometown at St. Ignace, Michigan. There, he married and lived happily for some years with his wife and two boys. He developed a circulatory problem in one leg, resulting in amputation. He died about 1978 as a result of this ailment. (Submitted by Foggy Newcomb)


Warren Walker

Following graduation, Hooky reported to CALIFORNIA at Bremerton, serving in gunnery and then Assistant Navigator. Top training was received under the watchful eye of "Mick" Carney, the Exec. Several months TAD in the Fleet Camera Party with Tackaberry provided some R & R. December 7th ended this pleasant living. Following a losing battle to keep afloat, the next several months were spent setting up the 5" battery ashore to protect Pearl and Hickam. March of '42 brought new duties as Assistant Navigator in MASSACHUSETTS fitting out in Quincy, MA. After shakedown and arduous training, set sail for Casablanca and the initial landings, where MASSACHUSETTS engaged the French battleship JEAN BART, a good start for the new Turret Two officer. In February, 1943, the ship was ordered to the South Pacific to help out in Guadalcanal.

MASSACHUSETTS saw duty in practically every engagement with Task Forces 38 and 58. By now Main Battery Assistant, shore fire support and bombardments were his baby. The ship also weathered two severe typhoons. During a sojourn in Bremerton, Hooky married Louise Rankin. As the war drew to a close, MASSACHUSETTS was involved in nightly bombardments of the Japanese mainland.

Following the war and four years duty in MASSACHUSETTS, orders were received as Exec. of CHEVALIER and a few months stateside duty with the family at Coronado and Mare Island. This proved to be all too short as CHEVALIER was ordered to Guam-Saipan and Tsingtao and the China coast. In June, 1947, returning stateside with orders to Washington, disaster struck and after a mad dash to Honolulu, Hooky found himself in an iron lung in Naval Hospital, Aiea, with Louise at his bedside. Johnny Bishop arranged her transportation, having read a dispatch concerning the illness. In September, he was well enough to be transferred to Naval Hospital, Philadelphia, and retirement in May, 1948 as a Lieutenant Commander. During his career, two Commendation Ribbons were awarded.

Civilian endeavors included six years with Honeywell as a Sales Engineer followed by eight years with Colorado Fuel and Iron as General Warehouse Manager. In 1962, foreign imports forced the closing of the warehouses and a new career in real estate followed. Beginning in 1988, Hooky retired as a Broker and Appraiser.

Home since 1948 for Hooky and Louise has been 41 Shawnee Road, Ardmore, PA, and a summer home in Cliff Island (Casco Bay), Maine. Their son, Randy, is married and the Walkers have one grandson.


William Walker

Willie's first assignment was in PORTLAND (CA-33) for three years as turret officer. High point was introduction by classmate Buzz Biesemeir to Willie's future bride, Heather Dickson -- after PORTLAND crawled into Sydney, Australia, for urgent repairs following severe battle damage suffered during the night of 12-13 November 1942 off Savo Island. From 1944 to 1946, Willie served as X.O. and then C.O. of PRICE (DE-332), operating in the Atlantic and Pacific. After moth-balling PRICE at Green Cove Springs, Willie went to USNA as steam instructor. Enroute, in his hometown, Shaker Heights, Ohio, he married Heather, who had just arrived from Australia. It was a wonderful honeymoon; they started their family with the arrival of two beautiful daughters, Sharon and Marilyn.

In 1949, Willie was C.O. of BEGOR (APD-127); the tour included operations off Korea, conducting beach reconnaissance and commando attacks in coordination with embarked UDT-1, under able command of late classmate Bill McKinney. In 1951, Willie reported to BuPers; he returned to the Pacific in 1954, as C.O. of YARNALL (DD-541). In 1956, he was Ops. Off., COMSERVGRU ONE. In 1958, Willie moved with his family to Yokosuka, on the Staff, COMSEVENTHFLT, homeported in Japan, but embarked in various heavy cruisers. In 1960, Willie was ordered to COMDESDIV 32, homeport just changed to Yokosuka. During this period (1958-61), he saw many Western Pacific ports, but little of Yokosuka. In 1961, Willie and family returned to San Diego, where Willie became C.O. of BEXAR (APA-237), loaded her with 1500 Marines and sailed to WESTPAC for most of this one year tour.

Willie and family moved to Caracas, Venezuela, where Willie was COMUSMILGRU and Chief, USNAVMISSION, an educational tour for the family, but it had its hazards, too -- Communist terrorists. Twice, senior officers were kidnapped and held captive for weeks; the offices of the missions were shot up. It proved necessary to put armed guards on the homes, in their cars and in the children's school bus. In 1965, the family left Caracas for Hawaii, where Willie took command of SERVRON FIVE, then in 1967, to COMSERVGRU ONE/SERVRON ONE, in San Diego. Both tours included lengthy deployments to the South China Sea as Commander Mobile Logistic Support Group (CTG 73.5) in support of operations off Vietnam.

All careers have to wind down: in 1968, Willie was ordered as C.O., NAVSTA, Treasure Island, for a very happy two years. On June 30th of 1970, Willie reluctantly retired from active duty; then went into real estate and insurance in the San Francisco-East Bay Area. He is now fully retired, and he and Heather spend their time visiting their two daughters and their grandchildren, other relatives and friends -- that is, when not occupied with community work, Willie with the Contra Costa County Volunteer Center and Heather with the Danville Thrift Station.


Erwin Wann

Following graduation, Bob was commissioned in the Marine Corps, and after Marine Corps Basic School went to Dunedin, Florida, to help set up a training detachment for the newly developed amphibious tractors(amtracs). On the outbreak of war, Bob left for San Diego as an amtrac company commander. There, in April of 1942, he and Bernice Irwin were married. In January of 1943, daughter Susan was born and Bob, soon to be a major, went overseas as executive officer of the 3rd Amphibian Tractor Battalion. Returning twenty-seven months later after three campaigns (Bougainville, Guam, and Iwo Jima), a Bronze Star with "V" and a Commendation Ribbon with "V", he was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel and assigned to the Tracked Vehicle Section of the Bureau of Ships.

In July of 1946, daughter Sharon was born in Washington and in 1948, Bob was ordered to the 1st Provisional Marine Brigade on Guam as Executive Officer of the 5th Marine Regiment and later as Commanding Officer of Special Troops Battalion. When the Brigade was disbanded in 1949, Bob and family were reassigned to Marine Barracks, Yokosuka, Japan.

The next tour, in 1950, as I&I of a reserve amtrac battalion at Treasure Island, was interrupted by the Korean War. Son Erwin F. III, was born in San Diego while Bob and his unit, the 1st Amphibian Tractor Battalion, were loading out for the Inchon landing. Bob commanded the battalion for fourteen months in Korea (Inchon, Wonsan, Hungnam, two assault crossings of the Han River), received a second Bronze Star with "V", and then reported to Quantico for three years at the Marine Corps Schools. Next assignment was to Turkish Language School, followed by a tour in the Office of the Naval Attache in Ankara, where Bob was promoted to Colonel in 1956. Son Stephen was born there in 1957. Return to CONUS in 1958 was as G-l of the Second Marine Division at Camp Lejeune, followed by the Naval War College in 1960-1961, and then a final four-year tour in Washington on the staff of the Net Evaluation Subcommittee, National Security Council.

Retiring in 1965, Bob worked until 1987 as a systems analyst for a not-for-profit Arlington company (ANSER), engaged in studies for the Air Force of R&D programs (B-l, ICBMs, etc.)

Bob and Bee and most of the family (including 8 grandchildren) lived happily in the Alexandria area, until Bee's unexpected and tragic death on April 29, 1989. She is buried in Arlington National Cemetery. Bob remains at the family home in Alexandria.


Robert Wetherup

Doc's first ship was SARATOGA (CV-3). His next assignments were DUNCAN (DD-485), and the staff of Commander Destroyer Squadron 12. While in destroyers, Doc participated in the rescue of survivors from WASP. He was also involved in two night battles off Guadalcanal. Awards included a Commendation Ribbon with Combat "V" and a Purple Heart. Flight training came next. The rewards included marriage to Kathryn Hesser, "wings", and Stateside training. Next came deployment as Executive Officer of Fighting Squadron 46. The awards from that deployment included 2 Distinguished Flying Crosses, 4 Air Medals, and a Navy Unit Citation. From postwar records, we know that Doc shot down a Shoichi Sugita who was one of Japan's leading aces with perhaps 70 victories.

Postwar assignments included Postgraduate School, Office of Naval Research, Staff of Commander Naval Forces, Far East, during the Korean War, Commanding Officer of Air Anti-Submarine Squadron 892(VS-892), the Bureau of Aeronautics, Operations Officer of BOXER (CVA-21), Executive Officer of the NROTC Unit at MIT and Commanding Officer of BURTON ISLAND (AGB-1).

Bob retired from the Navy in 1961. He then worked for the McDonnell Douglas Corporation for 21 years, mostly in Advanced Design. Some proposals and/or projects were successful, others didn't "fly". Bob was elected Associate Fellow in the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA). He also received a Certificate of Merit from the National Security Industrial Association (NSIA).

Bob retired from McDonnell Aircraft in 1982. He and Kay then moved to California to be near their 3 children. All of the children are married and each family has two children.

In the area of community service, Bob served 3 years on the Planning Commission of Rolling Hills Estates. Bob and Kay served 3 years as Co-superintendents of the Sunday School in their church. Bob was also the chairman of the building committee for major additions to the church school. In addition, Bob and Kay worked for several years with a neighborhood boy who was having trouble in a special school. Kay, a former teacher, worked on reading, spelling and writing. Bob helped with numbers, coins and making change. They were able to help this boy when the school could not. They feel that this was their greatest single volunteer service. That boy is now a responsible and employable young man.

Bob has published frequently in the U. S. Naval Institute Proceedings and in technical journals.


Joseph Weber

Joe's first sea service was in the aircraft carrier LEXINGTON until she was sunk in the Battle of the Coral Sea. His next assignment was commanding officer of Submarine Chaser 690. In addition to escort of convoys, this ship was assigned the task of finding the correct beach and leading Brigadier General Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. and 1800 rangers ashore in the 1943 invasion of Sicily.

After World War II, he served in the Bureau of Ships as head of electronics countermeasures design, and resigned in 1948 to become professor at the University of Maryland. His teaching has been in electrical engineering and physics, at the Universities of California and Maryland.

In 1988, the University of Maryland inducted Joe into their "Hall of Fame" for having first published the principles of the Maser and Laser. His first Gravitational Radiation Antenna is on permanent display at the Smithsonian Institution, "among the most important new scientific instruments of the 20th century." A textbook on General Relativity, which Joe was commissioned to write, has been translated into Russian, Japanese and Chinese, and was the standard text in China for a period beginning in 1979.

Joe’s wife, Virginia L. Trimble, is a scholar in her own right, a well-known authority on astronomy. Joe and Virginia live in Chevy Chase, Maryland.


Tom Wells

After graduation, Tom served in the Pacific and was aboard the carrier HORNET when it was sunk in October, 1942. He was awarded twelve battle stars for his World War II service and four stars for his services in the Korean conflict; he was also awarded the Bronze Star as a destroyer captain.

Tom was executive officer of the Naval ROTC program at the University of Texas from 1952 to 1954 and associate professor of naval science there. He retired as a commander in 1960. He received both his M.A. degree (1961) and Ph.D. degree (1963) from Emery University. He was associate professor of history at Northwestern State College, Natchitoches, Louisiana, at the time of his death.

His first book, Commodore Moore and the Texas Navy (1960) established his place as an authority on the navies of the South and of Texas. His later writings include the section entitled "The Navies," in Civil War Books: A Critical Bibliography (1967); a U.S. Navy pamphlet, The Texas Navy (1968); and a publication of his M.A. thesis, The Slave Ship Wanderer (1968). The Confederate Navy: A Study in Organization (1971), originally his Ph.D. dissertation, was published posthumously; the work had earlier been awarded the triennial prize by the United Daughters of the Confederacy for the best book of high merit in the field of Southern history relevant to the Confederacy. He contributed to the Dictionary of American Fighting Ships and wrote numerous articles for scholarly history publications; he also wrote a weekly column in the Natchitoches Times.

Tom married Carolyn McConnell of Philadelphia on December 28, 1943, and they were the parents of seven children: Lucy (1944), Sarah (1946), Eleanor (1947), Tom (1948), Christopher (1952), Julia (1955), Peter (1962). Tom died at his home in Natchitoches, Louisiana, on April 16, 1971, from injuries which he had received in an automobile accident three weeks earlier. He is survived by his wife, Carol, and the children.


In 1938, he found himself forcibly removed from his direct association with the Class of ‘40 for solid academic reasons. Shortly after the class graduated, he managed to persuade the Marine Corps to give him a reserve commission. It was a happy mating.

When World War II began, he was in Iceland. Then there was a rapid transition to the South Pacific war zone. Invalided back in late '43, he managed to get off limited duty in time to get to Saipan in '44, thence to occupation duty in Kyushu.

On return to the US, he received a regular commission as a Major, Following were a number of staff assignments, among which was OinC of the Armed Forces Information Office in Hollywood. Meanwhile he was promoted to Lt. Colonel. He was a battalion commander and regimental exec in the Korean War.

Returning to the US in 64, he became aide to two Marine Corps Commandants and then went to London as an Asst. Naval Attache. Back to the US and promoted to Colonel, he held staff and command jobs at the Marine Corps Base, Camp Lejeune, NC. This was followed by a year at the National War College and a tour in DIA/JCS. Assigned to the 1st Marine Division as Chief of Staff, this duty included a move of the Division to Vietnam and combat once again.

Returning to Washington, he retired and went to work for an international financial concern in Switzerland. After six years of this, he resumed to the US and Newport Beach and got involved in real estate. As of this writing, he is a real estate developer, building complexes in Mexico.

Among other things, the Governor of California has appointed him to the Commission of the Californias and as a Delegate to the Border Governors' Conference. He is also a Director of the World Affairs Council of Orange County and Past President of the Newport Harbor Area Chamber of Commerce. An enthusiastic sailor in California waters, he cruises the Mediterranean each year on a sailboat berthed in Spain.


William Westhoff

Wes' first duty following graduation was aboard USS NEVADA, followed by duty in USS WASHINGTON. In 1942-43, he served as Force Communications Officer for ComBatPac and participated in the battle of Guadalcanal. He attended the U. S. Naval Postgraduate School in Communication-Engineering and stayed on after graduation to teach Strategy and Tactics. This was followed by a tour as Exec of the Naval Training Center at Harvard University. He then returned to sea duty as Ops/Navigator in USS WISCONSIN.

The late nineteen-forties found Wes on the Staff of Commander Naval Forces, Mediterranean, and later Staff, ComSixthFleet. While first Sixth Fleet Communicator, he initiated and programmed the erection of Port Lyautey's major communication station. Between sea billets in 1950, he was graduated from the U. S. Naval War College in the Naval Warfare Course. Wes was then selected for duty in OpNav as head of the Fleet Operational Communication Division.

Wes commanded the destroyer USS TINGEY for two-and-a-half years during the Korean War and earned the Bronze Star. He then reported to Staff, CincPac/CincPacFlt to work in his subspecialty, Communications. It was during this tour that he married Ellen Frances Henry of Berkeley. Their first daughter, Shirley, was born during this Hawaiian tour. In 1956, he returned to Washington and a tour as Director, Congressional Liaison, in the Secretary of the Navy's office. Daughter Sharon arrived during this tour.

His next assignment was C.O. Naval Communication Station, San Juan, Puerto Rico, along with many other communications hats on the Admiral's staff there. Son Douglas arrived in 1960 to round out the Westhoff family. Orders to fleet oiler USS CHIPOLA came in 1961 where he took command in Hong Kong Harbor. This highly successful tour led to a return to Staff duty at CincPacFlt as ACOS for Communications.

In 1965, he retired and moved to San Bernardino to become Director of Communications for the County government. One year later, the Westhoff family moved to Danville, CA, and Wes went to work with Wells Fargo Bank. He remained with the bank until his death in 1976, the victim of a tragic automobile accident. Ellen remained in Danville for a number of years and then returned to Honolulu for awhile before coming back to her present home in Walnut Creek, CA.


John Whitacre

John (Jay) found his first ship, SAVANNAH a "traveling" ship -- almost 50,000 miles in the first two years, including Somoa, Tahiti, and Aukland, NZ. A number on board hoped for flight training. In May, 1941, SAVANNAH took off for Casco Bay where she became a convoy escort for allied ships enroute to Torpedo Junction. Early in 1942, SAVANNAH went to RIO to patrol while Roosevelt was in conference there. While returning to Bermuda a dispatch asked for volunteers for submarine duty. Jack Rait, Maurice Baldwin, Bill Burgan and Jay decided that they had little chance of getting to aviation, and so they volunteered. They took the physical exam in Bermuda, and by the time Jay got back to Nova Scotia he had dispatch orders. On completion of sub school, Jay had orders to a school boat, but asked for a switch in orders and went to Manitowoc, WI, to pick up PETO, first submarine built on the Great Lakes. It was an opportunistic time to marry the O.A.O., Elizabeth Franks of Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The CO very generously gave him a week-end pass. PETO departed Manitowoc on Christmas Day, 1942, and after transiting the Chicago Drainage Canal and the Mississippi River, arrived in Cristobal, CZ, for final training. It was then to Brisbane, from where Jay made five war patrols in the Truk-Rabaul- Kavieng area before flying back to Portsmouth to pick up another new boat, RONQUIL. Based in Pearl, Jay made three more war patrols in the Empire Area before being sent to the squadron in Pearl. He was in New London in October, 1945, and then went as Navigator in the tender HOWARD W. GILMORE. While in Key West in 1947 their first son, Jon, was born. In 1947, Jay went to NROTC Duty at the University of Nebraska. After two years, he went to BuShips. While there, their second son, William, was born. Both boys sought appointments to Annapolis, but only Bill was successful, (USNA '74). Jon graduated from the Merchant Marine Academy, class of 1970. After Washington, Jay finally got close to aviation, as Engineer in USS LEYTE, and suffered through the catapult explosion that took 39 lives. His last tour in Submarines was as CO of USS FLYING FISH in New London. In 1957, he was ordered to the staff of Com 5, where the "Hump" caught him and finished his naval career.

Jay convinced the Personnel Director of the public schools in Norfolk that he was a teacher; he taught mathematics at Maury High School for two years, also taking night and summer courses at U.Va. In 1963, U.Va. gave Jay a degree in counseling education. Classmate Blaine Eader was teaching at Newberry College, SC, and with his kind assistance, Jay joined Newberry as a teacher of Counseling, Retirement at 65 was mandatory, and they both retired for a second time. A heart problem in 1985 convinced Jay to move north to be closer to family, to their current residence in Williamsburg, VA, where Jay's vast experience as a Red-Mike stands him in good sted.


Harry White

Following graduation, Harry joined USS PENSACOLA. In 1942, he began flight training and on June 15, 1943, was designated Naval Aviator. He next was an Asst. Instructor at NAS Miami, and later an Instructor with CASU 22.

Assigned to Torpedo Squadron EIGHTY THREE, which operated from February, 1945 off USS ESSEX, he served as X.O. of that squadron until October, 1945. "For extraordinary heroism. . .in action against enemy Japanese forces in the East China Sea Area on April 7, 1945.. ." he was awarded the Navy Cross. The citation further states: "Leading his squadron in a low level coordinated torpedo attack against major units of an enemy Task Force, Lieutenant Commander White braved intense antiaircraft fire and pressed home his attack to score a direct torpedo hit on a Japanese battleship, thereby contributing materially to the success of his flight in sinking the ship shortly afterwards..." He was also awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross and the Air Medal with Gold Stars in lieu of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Air Medal for completing thirty missions in the areas of Kyushu, Ryukus, Nansei Shoto, Honshu, Hokkaido and Japanese Homeland, during the period March 18 to August 9, 1945. He is entitled to the Presidential Unit Citation awarded USS ESSEX.

In 1945, he joined USS GUADALCANAL as Navigator and in 1946, was an Instructor in Navigation, Ordnance and Aviation at the Naval Academy. He remained there until 1948, when he assumed command of Attack Squadron 195 attached to USS BOXER. In 1948, he took the Command and Staff Course, at the Naval War College, and in 1951 was assigned to OPNAV until 1953, as Assistant to the DCNO (Air) for JCS matters.

Following command of Helo ASW Squadron TWO, in 1955, he was Navigator of USS SHANGRI-LA; in December, he became Missiles Plans Officer in OF-60. From 1957 to 1958 he attended George Washington University, and received the MBA degree. He next was Chief of the Tariff Advisory Group at Headquarters, MATS, Scott Air Force Base, IL. In 1959 he was again assigned to OpNav, as Budget Asst. to the Director of the Aviation Plans Division. In 1964 he was assigned to the Office of the Deputy Comptroller, as Asst. for Financial Management Development.

After retirement in 1965, Captain White joined Douglas Aircraft Co. as Director, Budget and Financial Forecast. In 1967, he became Exec. Director, Controller's Office, CIA. In 1970, Harry was auditor and contracting officer for Air America, Cent. Air Services, China Airlines, in Taipei. In 1974, he became contracting officer, A.I.D., State Dept., retiring from A.I.D. in 1987. He is now a consultant, Government contracts, Certified Professional Contract manager. He was awarded Outstanding Career Achievement Award, A.I.D., June 26, 1987.

He is married to the former Frances Kelleher. They have six children: Ellen, Michelle, Peter, Kathleen, William and Carol.


Robert White

Born in St. Johnsbury, VT, Bob graduated from St. Johnsbury Academy in 1936 before entering the Academy. His first duty was as Gunnery Junior Officer in the battleship OKLAHOMA; then as First Lieutenant in USS JOUETT(DD-396). Next duty was as Chief Engineer of USS SOMERS (DD-381). This was followed by new construction, Chief Engineer of USS MURRAY (DD-576), and subsequently as Executive Officer of the same ship. While part of the destroyer screen off Okinawa, MURRAY was hit by a Japanese aircraft bomb -- the 1000-pound bomb went horizontally through the ship, more like a torpedo than a bomb. One man was killed; had the bomb hit 15 feet further forward, Bob and the rest of the bridge personnel would have been killed. After repairs at Pearl, MURRAY was on the way back to WESTPAC when she was ordered to board and inspect a Japanese hospital ship. Bob was the boarding officer, found no guns, and the ship was allowed to proceed to Wake to evacuate the garrison. This was one of several boarding parties that Bob led during the war, every one resulting in tense moments as he and the boarding parties moved into unpredictable situations. There was a sequel to the hospital ship incident. When Bob was at the DCA in Washington in 1965, he got a letter from the Secretary of the Wake Island Society, in Nagoya, Japan, wishing to verify that Bob was the one who bearded the hospital ship off Wake. He was invited to visit the Society, all expenses paid to Japan, but the press of duty in Washington forced him to decline.

Next was command of USS RODMAN (DMS-21) from 1945-47. After graduating in 1948 from the PG School's Communications Engineering Course, he was detailed to the Office of the Director of Naval Communications, then in succession he served as Fleet Communications Officer on the Staff of COMSIXTHFLT and as Force Communications Officer on the Staff of COMAIRLANT.

After commanding USS BEALE (DDE-471) from 1953-56, he became Plans Officer on the Staff of COMPHIBTRALANT until 1959, when he became COMDESDIV 32. In 1960, he returned to Naval Communications as C.o., NAVCOMMSTA Honolulu, and in 1963, after graduating from the Naval War College, he took command of USS YOSEMITE (AD-19). In 1964, he reported as Chief of Defense Communications Agency's Operation Center, serving until 1965, when he took command of USS WRIGHT (CC-2). His next duty was as Deputy Assistant CNO for Communications and Commander, Communications Command. Bob's full naval career included eight commands. He was awarded the Legion of Merit, Bronze Star Medal and the Joint Service Commendation Medal.

After retiring in 1970, he appraised real estate in Northern Virginia until moving to New Hampshire in 1978. In 1942, he married Claudia Goodrich of St. Johnsbury. There are two children, Mrs. Glenn Mason (Jennie) of Salt Lake City, UT, and Wilmont White of Salem, VA, plus three grandchildren.


John Wier

Ensign Wier reported for duty in USS RICHMOND (CLA), Flagship of Com Sub Pac moored at the submarine Base, Pearl Harbor, July, 1940. RICHMOND, good shipmates, early responsibility, and the joys of pre-war Hawaii convinced him that the rigors of the Academy were well worth it. In spite of the difficult and demanding times just around the corner and challenges down the road, he never regretted the choice of a Navy career.

Chronology of Duty Stations:



Various duties







7/45- 6/4~

PG School Elect/Comm. Harvard




Comm. Officer





Com Air Pac Staff

Asst. C/S Comm.











NAVSTA San Diego



Port Lyautey, Morocco


7/62- 9/63




Def. Comm. Agency, Wash., D.C

Director Current Oper.


Voluntary Retirement

Capt USN (Ret)

Upon retirement, John joined Paragon Candle Company in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. In 1968, Lenox China & Crystal, Inc., acquired the company and he remained with Lenox as president and CEO until 1970.

Having discovered beautiful San Diego in 1940, he retired there in 1970. In 1971, he married Janet Gregart. They have two children: Jenni (age 16) and Patrick (age 12). Also living in California are daughter, Nancy Harris, with husband, Bob, and two sons, Sean and Michael. John Jr. and his daughter, Kelly, live close enough for him to play golf with his Dad and surf with Patrick. John's son, Mark, has a farm in North Carolina.


So much happiness and contentment now, and so many memories of the last fifty years!

1936 - Entered US Naval Academy

1940 - Finished at Georgia Tech with Reserve Commission in US Army

1940 - Worked for Babcock and Wilcox in New York, NY until outbreak of WW II

Mid 40's - Took up Commission in Artillery sent to train Ecuadorian Pacific Coastal defense Met and married the widow, Bolivia Cardenas Turbyne from Quito, Ecuador. Adopted daughter Roberta Turbyne

Late 40's - Postings in Texas for training during which time had two sons, Marcos in 4/47 and John in 2/49

Early 50's- Korean duty during the policing action. Family stayed in Ecuador

1954 - Assignment to Pentagon

1956 - Army War College, Carlisle, PA

1958 - Assignment SHAPE Paris, France

1960 - Assignment Augsburg, Germany for Artillery Command duty

1961 - On loan to Air Force at Maxwell AFB, Montgomery, Alabama

1964 - Assignment to Pentagon

1965 - Assignment to Vietnam as Advisor Second Assignment to Vietnam with General Westmoreland Third Assignment to Vietnam Divarty Command 25th Infantry Div

1967 - Return to Assignment Pentagon. Saw eldest son one week before son went on Vietnam cruise in the Navy

1968 - Retired as full Colonel, 30 years of service, US Army

Began work with RCA in Moorestown, NJ

MID- LATE 70's - Retired from RCA to split time between Fort Myers, FL and Blowing Rock, NC. In Blowing Rock, had old Tobacco Barn from family farm in Boonville married to an oak log cabin from Tennessee as residence

1989 - After having sold home in Florida, was exploring splitting time between North Carolina and Ecuador.

On trip to Quite, died on January 14, 1989

Survived by his widow, Bolivia Cardenas Williams; his daughter, Roberta Turbyne Williams and her children, Sara, Daniel, and Aryeh; his son, Marcos Stockton Williams and wife, Elaine Locke Williams and their children, Kaegan and Della; and his son, John Cardenas Williams and wife, Laura Whitney Williams and their children, Morgan, Chappell, and John.


Oscar left the Academy in the spring of 1937; he resigned after failing the eye examination given after Christmas leave in plebe year. He graduated from Ripen College and M.I.T. and served in the Navy in World War II.


Gerald Williams

GG, known also as Willie or Jerry, spent the first couple of years after graduation in the training routine typical for a Marine lieutenant. First, at Basic School in Philadelphia, next as a company officer of a 1st Marine Division infantry unit, and then the U.S. Army Signal Corps Schools. In June, 1942, he and Gene Dueber drew straws for assignment; Gene's luck headed him toward Guadalcanal and GG went to the Army Radar School at Hobe Sound, Florida.

In September, 1943, he was assigned to staff duty at Pearl, the first year with Headquarters, Fifth Amphibious Corps and then at Headquarters, Fleet Marine Force, Pacific. These tours involved participation in the campaign for seizure of the Marianas for which he was awarded the Bronze Star Medal with Combat "V" for meritorious service, plus extensive travel conducting surveys throughout the Pacific.

After World War II, it was: Fort Monmouth; Camp Lejeune; Pacific Fleet Amphibious Force in Coronado; Tsingtao, China; Quantico for the Senior Officers' Course; CincLantFlt Staff; Second Marine Division at Camp Lejeune; CO, Marine Barracks, Subic Bay for two years; Camp Pendleton, CA; Landing Force Training Unit at Little Creek, VA.

Retirement: the first time!

The remaining years have been a period of relative stability. Residence at 7900 North Shore Road, Norfolk, Virginia 23505, has continued since 1961. A second constant was the twenty-five year tenure with Wheat First Securities, Inc. from which GG retired as a vice- president in 1985.

GC's lovely wife, the former Elizabeth Plunkett, whom he married December 27, 1952, has been a cheerful, wonderful helpmate and a great strength throughout the years. Their only child, Gerald Glynn, Jr., is a splendid son.

Full retirement has certainly not been boring for GG. He is amazed he ever had a career in anything. His lists of projects and places to go continue to grow faster than older ones are accomplished. Retirement is great!

Life for GG has been good, materially, intellectually and spiritually. Of course, disappointments have come, but each one has caused a strength to develop in order to cope and move forward. These sentiments apply both to active military duty, before, during and after being at the Naval Academy as well as in his civilian career. He views his classmates as if they were brothers and cherishes his long association with each plus their great and continuing friendship.


Spence first reported to USS PENNSYLVANIA and was on board at Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941. When he came up on deck as the attack began, he noticed that the flag was not flying at the stern as it should have been, so he quickly raised the flag, believing that the fleet flagship should be showing the colors. Being in dry dock, PENNSYLVANIA suffered less damage than the other battleships, but nevertheless was sent back to the U.S. for repairs. Shortly afterwards, Spence was ordered to the fitting out and commissioning of a new destroyer at Bath, Maine, USS O'BANNON. While there, he and Harriet Cecil Train were married in Brunswick, Maine, on 23 April 1942.

O'BANNON proceeded to the Pacific in the fall of 1942, and not long after arriving in the war zone, Spence was transferred to USS MACKINAC. His time in MACKINAC was also cut short by orders to submarine school, from which he graduated in April, 1943.

Out of sub school, his first orders were to USS TULLIBEE in the Pacific. He completed one patrol with TULLIBEE, but on the second patrol (fourth for TULLIBEE),the submarine and all but one lone survivor were lost to enemy action. Assigned an area north of Palau, TULLIBEE left Midway on 14 March 1944, and according to the account of GM2 C. W.Kuykendall, intercepted a Japanese convoy on the night of 26 March. TULLIBEE had solved the convoy's course and speed, but held fire to come closer to see better through the squally weather. The convoy escorts detected the sub and dropped 15 to 20 depth charges, but TULLIBEE survived and closed to 3000 yards and fired two bow tubes, even though unable to see the target clearly. A minute or two later, a terrific concussion shook the boat. Kuykendall, who was on the bridge, soon found himself in the water, to be picked up the next morning by a Japanese escort, and sent to a POW camp. Kuykendall said that he was sure that TULLIBEE was hit by one of its own torpedoes that made a circular run; he later learned that the other torpedo hit a large transport in the convoy and sunk it. Failing to return on schedule, TULLIBEE was presumed lost on 15 May 1944.

On 15 December 1945, Spence was declared killed in action, and posthumously appointed a LCDR by President Truman on 1 April 1946, to rank from 17 October 1944. He was awarded the Purple Heart, Presidential Unit Citation, (for service in O'BANNON), American Defense Service Medal, World War II Victory Medal, and Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal.

Spence is survived by his wife, Toto (Cecil Train Wilson), who lives in Washington, 3140 Wisconsin Avenue, No. 108, Washington, D.C. 20016.


Pershing shared only plebe year with his classmates, going on to attend the University of Missouri. Like many classmates who left before graduation, Pershing volunteered for naval service after World War II began. He attended Midshipman School at Northwestern University and was commissioned in 1942. He served in the Pacific war zone, earning the Navy Unit Commendation, Navy Occupation Service Medal, and the China Service Medal. He also served as Judge Advocate at NAS Pensacola, his last tour before retiring in 7970. Pershing died in 1973, and is survived by his wife, Lillian, and a son, Randall


Leigh Winters

Born in Manila, Philippines during WW I, Early acquired his pre-Navy education in various private, parochial and public schools in Australia, China, Utica, New York and San Francisco. Less than a year in the Merchant Marine was followed by a bit more than a year in the enlisted Navy. Entrance exams for the Naval Academy were taken on board USS RANGER (CV-4) together with two future classmates, Marine Tab Collins and Sailor Harry Fischer. All three breezed through the Academy, with Early graduating in the top 84% of the Class of 1940.

Life's high point was an introduction by classmate John Wier to Dorothy Grigsby of Washington, D.C. and Brooklyn, New York. Romance bloomed and marriage followed at St. Peter's Church on Capitol Hill, D.C., in 1942. A female quartet, all beauties, followed: Sandra Leigh in 1946; Wendy Anne, 1952; Dana Dorothy, 1953 and Debra Elizabeth, 1955.

First duty after graduation was in USS ENTERPRISE (CV-6) through Pearl Harbor, Marshall and Gilbert Islands counter-attack, Doolittle's raid on Tokyo and the Battle of Midway. Other WW II duties, mostly in the Pacific, included gunnery and executive officer of RODGERS (DD-574), executive officer COMPTON (DD-705), and CO RUSSELL (DD-414). Post WW II included CO SPEAR (AM-312), StaffGenLine School in Newport, and founder and Chief of USNavMission to Haiti. The Korean War brought Early back to sea as XO TALLADEGA (APA-208), followed by CO SHIELDS (DD-596), Naval Attache, Istanbul and Director of Training ONI, OP923T.

Retirement in 1960 meant working for real bucks in real estate; salesman, broker, manager, co-owner with Dee of 4 SEASONS REALTY, INC., Realtor Board Director, committee chairs, lecturer and City of Alexandria Real Estate Tax Equalizer. Since 1969, Early has been the Class secretary.

God willing, Dee and Early's Golden Wedding Anniversary will follow the Class of 1940's 50th Reunion by two years; in August, 1992. All are invited.

"ONLY 40 IS 4.0!"


Ward Witter

Ward first reported to NEVADA in Pearl Harbor. On 7 December 1941, he managed to get aboard after the ship nudged into the mud on Nevada Point. Phyllis and Ward were married on 1 April 1942 and sailed for the West Coast in the same convoy.

After an extensive rebuild and modernization in Bremerton, NEVADA participated in the invasion of Attu, while Phyllis headed for Minneapolis to await the arrival of Kimmerle. NEVADA sailed to the Atlantic to run troop convoys and participate in the invasions of Normandy and Southern France.

Ward became Navigator when NEVADA returned to the Pacific for the invasions of Iwo Jima and Okinawa. After five years, he was detached from NEVADA and went to PG School in Annapolis and at Purdue University.

Three years ashore and it was back to sea as Gunnery Officer of OAKLAND and MANCHESTER. During this time, David was born in May, 1949. Sea duty ended with a tour on the staff of COMCRUDESPAC before going to York, PA, as the Executive Officer of the Naval Ordnance Plant. The next move was back to the West Coast and command of T.E. CHANDLER. The Washington tour which followed included BuOrd, BuWeps and the Industrial College of the Armed Forces.

The Witters then headed for Japan, where Ward commanded POLLUX (AKS-4), before going to Pearl Harbor for duty on CINCPAC Staff and then Commander of Destroyer Squadron 11. His last tour of duty was CO of the Naval Underwater Weapons Research and Engineering Station in Newport, RI.

Ward retired in early 1968 and the Witters settled in Vista, CA, where they still live. Ward twice worked for, and retired from, the Singer Kearfott Electronics Plant in San Marcos, CA. He knows that three retirements are just right.


David Wolfe

Upon commissioning, Dave was sent to Marine Basic School in Philadelphia for nine months, followed by several months in Quantico, and then back to Annapolis to the REINA MERCEDES -- this time guarding the brig. Betty Evans and Dave were married June 20, 1942, at what is now the chapel of the Navy Communications Annex in Washington. While "honeymooning" in Cape Cod, he received orders to flight training, and reported to NAS New Orleans, and thence to Pensacola. Their first son, "Chick," was born in the Naval Hospital there in 1943. Various flight instructor and squadron assignments led up to going overseas during World War II. He spent the war flying PBJs (B-25s) in the North Solomons, Borneo and the Philippines, at which place they were staging for the invasion of Japan when the war ended.

Dave returned to CONUS for duty (Dec., 1945), and assignment in BuAer for several years. Next they were posted to, El Toro. Their second son, Dave, Jr., was born in the Naval Hospital, Long Beach, in December, 1948. During this tour, he was fortunate successively to command SMS-33, VMP-254 and VMF (N)-542. Dave was ordered to Staff, 1st Marine Air Wing, in June, 1950, and assigned Ass't Wing 4, just in time to "load out" to fight President Truman's "police action".

Arriving in Korea (Aug., 1950), he took command of VMF (N)-513. They supported 10th Army Corps (including the 1st Marine Division) and Eighth Army. Most missions were night reconaissances to the Chinese border, and night close air support of the 1st MarDiv at the Chosin Reservoir. When the situation was critical, they operated around the clock.

Upon returning to the States in March, 1951, he spent nine months at Cal Tech as CNO, CMC Rep on project "Vista". In January, 1952, he was ordered to Plans Branch, HQMC. 1955 and 1956 were spent at Quantico as student and instructor in Senior Staff School. Then they went to Hawaii where he served as AC/S, G-l, FMFPac. From there, he was sent to Japan and assignment as C.O., MAG 12. Betty and the boys stayed in Hawaii, and when Dave returned 15 months later (August, 1959), they moved back to Quantico, where he served as head of the Air Branch, Marine Corps Schools.

The next assignment came as a surprise: Chief, MAAG and COM US Mil Group Dominican Republic. This MAAG was instituted in March, 1962, by President Kennedy upon the assassination of Trujillo. It was part of the Allianza Para Progresso, and was terminated when the next revolution unseated President Bosch, in September, 1964. The U.S. broke diplomatic relations with the Dominican Republic, and the entire MAAG was evacuated.

Upon his retirement from the Corps, Betty and Dave moved to McLean, VA, where they live at present. As his "second career", he held the Vice-Presidency of the Washington Tobacco Co. until the business was liquidated in October, 1982.


Charles Mills Wood, Jr. ("C.M." to his family and "Jughead" to his Naval Academy friends) was one of fourteen of the class of '40 who reported to USS NEVADA (BB36) upon graduation. During the two years, he served in NEVADA, Jug was assigned to communications. Ashore in Honolulu on December 7, 1941, he managed to get back on board while the Jap attack was still in progress. He stayed with NEVADA during salvage at Pearl Harbor and return to Bremerton for repairs and modernization.

In the summer of 1942, he married Nell Rice Wynn, his Naval Academy OAO and Ring Dance date. Orders to flight training brought detachment from NEVADA in October, 1942. In May, 1943, a son, Charles Mills Wood III was born; and Jug was perhaps even prouder of his son than most new fathers. (C.M. Wood III graduated from USNA in the class of 1965 and recently retired as a Commander, USN, after a career in submarines).

Upon completion of flight training, Jug was ordered to Patrol Bombing Squadron 149. After being stationed on Cape Cod and at Quonset Point, VPB 149 was ordered to the Pacific area and in February, 1945, arrived at Tacloban on Leyte Island, Philippines. On March 22, 1945, while on a routine patrol flight, which included an attack on a Japanese installation, Jug failed to return. He was declared missing and a year later was declared to be legally deceased. In 1950, a U.S. Army Graves Registration Team located a crashed PV1 bomber in the area where Jug's plane had last been contacted. The remains of those found in the crashed plane were subsequently identified as those of Jug and his crew. They are buried in a common grave at the Fort Zachary Taylor National Cemetery in Louisville, Kentucky.

Jug was a good friend, an outstanding naval officer and a strong person of the highest integrity and character. He has been sorely missed, especially by his family and those of us who knew him best.

(Submitted by Al Cook)


Emmett Wood

Upon graduation, Emmett (Pumpkin) was assigned to the battleship TENNESSEE where he was either a gunnery officer or some such inconseqential job usually awarded to brand new Ensigns. This tour was terminated on December 7th at Pearl Harbor.

Unhappy with being on the receiving end of bombs dropped from on high, he joined the wild bunch from '40 for flight training in New Orleans, Pensacola, Melbourne and Jacksonville. Slightly over-trained, he eventually served in the carrier USS BOXER as CO of Squadron VF93, flying F6F's, operating in the Pacific.

From 1946 to 1948, Emmett was XO of the Navy's Pre-Flight school, first in Ottumwa, Iowa, then in Pensacola. The next two years were spent in Pearl Harbor as XO of the Ford Island Naval Air Station where he coached the basketball and football teams. In 1950, after six months at Command and Staff School at Maxwell AFB in Montgomery, Alabama, he served in the Office of Material in Washington, D.C. This tour was followed by a two-year assignment to COMBATCRULANT as Aviation and CIC staff officer aboard the cruiser, USS ALBANY.

After a two-year tour of duty as PE officer at USNA in 1956, he served on the planning staff of CINCLANTFLEET in Norfolk, Virginia until his retirement in 1960.

Acquiring his ME, he headed the Math Department at Thayer Academy in Braintree, Massachusetts until 1976. He retired in Florida where he was active in The Country Club of Brevard. He died of cancer in 1986.

He is survived by his wife, Virginia, of Scituate, Massachusetts; two sons, Lieutenant Colonel Stuart B. Wood, USAF, of Washington, D.C., and Bruce Wood of Hingham, Massachusetts, and daughter, Andrea, of Keene, New Hampshire.


Robert Wooding

A short career in the line was terminated because of failure to pass the eye exam before a medical Board of Review. Bob requested and was transferred to the Navy Civil Engineer Corps in July, 1942.

He spent the next twenty-eight plus years in various CEC Staff and Seabee Command Billets, which he thoroughly enjoyed. However, the passing of his wife, Ruthie, on 25 December 1968, was the nadir of his naval career.

Shirley Kruspe and Bob were married in late 1969, and he retired 1 January 1971. He spent the next twelve years in the groves of academe at Arizona State University. He finally retired from the professional business in June, 1982, to a life of leisure, golf and some traveling. Visitations with one son, three daughters and six grandchildren keep Shirley and Bob on the go to the extent that they do not find time heavy on their hands.


Arthur Woodside

Below standard eyesight forced Woody to pursue a non-military career in serving his country and fellow-man. Upon graduation, he became a service engineer for the Sperry Gyroscope Company. During his first assignment in Wichita, Kansas, he met and married Virginia Renfro on July 19, 1941.

Immediately after Pearl Harbor, he was recalled to active duty and spent four years in the Bureau of Aeronautics. Duties included administrative engineering for gyro instruments and automatic pilots, procurement and the scheduling of sufficient aircraft instruments for the U.S. Navy, as well as the British Royal Air Force and Navy. For these latter responsibilities, he received the award of Honorary Member, Military Division, of the Order of the British Empire.

His daughter and only child, Lannie Dee, was born at Georgetown Hospital on December 28, 1942, while Woody was on a business trip to Dayton, Ohio.

He left the Navy on December 1, 1945, to join the General Electric Company at its Instrument Department at West Lynn, Massachusetts. Through the next eighteen years, his management activities contributed to significant technological advances in fuel and engine instrumentation for military and commercial jet aircraft.

He then moved, as manager-Contracts and Subcontracts, to a new General Electric component organized to support NASA in Mississippi. This facility performed acceptance tests on Rocket Boosters for the Apollo program. Having achieved President Kennedy's objective to put a man on the moon before 1970, NASA's de-emphasis on manned space projects and a lack of challenging positions within General Electric led to an early retirement.

He went to work for a friend as a manufacturer's representative. The items handled were heavy industrial heating and cooling equipment. Extra-curricular activities included pioneering mosquito control in Louisiana, leadership activities in the country club and fund raising for church and welfare programs.

Following the growth, experiences and careers of his daughter, Lannie Kern, and three grandchildren -- David (6/64), Michael (3/68) and Karen (5/69) -- has been a great pleasure.

The environment has drawn recent attention. Woody has promoted an innovative approach (Bio-Stran) to increase sewerage plant capacity and to improve effluent quality. More recently, another

innovative effort includes replacing hazardous chlorine with an electrolytic-water-purification system, developed by NASA for the Apollo program. These two markets, resistant to change, will demand attention for the rest of his business career.


Jessie Worley

After graduation, Jess reported to USS COLORADO in Long Beach, but frustrated by inaction, quickly made the transition to submarines, serving in the Pacific in CACHELOT, ASPRO and 36 months as XO in CARBONERO.

With the war over and life getting dull, Jess met and married a San Franciscan, Patricia O'Hara, on December 7, 1946, an anniversary date that's easy to remember. Son, Michael was born in San Diego, 1947, son, Jay in San Mateo, 1953, and son, Peter in Coronado, 1956.

Sea Duty After the War

XO CARBONERO - Feb '45-Jul '47 XO SEA FOX - Apr '49-Apr S0

CO RAZORBACK - Jun 50-Aug 50

Staff, ComCarDiv 15- Apr'55-Dec'56

CO, DD INGERSOLL-Feb'57-May'58

CO-AO CALIENTE - Jul61-Sept’62

Com Des Ron 11- Oct '63 - Feb '65

Com Des Flot 5 - Aug '64-0ct '64

Shore Duty After the War

Sub Base Pearl- Aug '47-Apr'49

MSTS, San Fran - Sept 62-Feb 55

OpNav, Fleet Ops - Aug58-Jul60

Student ICAF - Aug '60-May '61

West Sea Frontier -Sept'62-Sept'63

OpNav, ASW-Apr '65- May '67

CO NavSta., San Juan, PR -Jun '67- May '69

Com 12 Staff - Jun '69 -Jul 70

Following retirement, they remained in their Orinda home (San Francisco Bay area) until their middle son finished high school, while Jess tried his expertise as real estate salesman, which was zero.

Their first post-retirement move was to Santa Rosa, CA, in 1971, where he joined Ecodyne Cooling Products Division for just enough income to cover tuition for two younger sons. During their 5 years there, they had the luxury of an expansive home with pool. Yet something was missing: Navy friends and an ocean breeze. So in November, 1976, they traded their land-bound home for a small condo in Coronado. During these past 12 years, God has been kind to them. Pat has survived two cancer surgeries and the doctors keep Jess' hypertension under control.

Son Mike (USNA '69) has finished his first command as CO of a DDG, and as Jess wrote this, he was CSO of Des Ron 4 in Charleston. Son Jay is in his 16th year with Oregon State Forestry and Peter is co-owner of Worley-Rademacher Farms in Cotati, CA.

Now at age 70 and 73, Pat and Jess can't imagine a more exciting rewarding life than that which the Navy offered them. They won't be attending the 50th; Pat's ability to travel is limited. However, they look forward with Faith and Hope to the Hereafter for the most sublime Reunion of All.


John Wright

Jack's military-civilian career with the Navy spanned 38 years until his retirement in 1973 from the Navy Department in Washington, his home town. Only on active commissioned duty until his resignation for family reasons (an eventual 10 children) in 1948, his WW II service culminated as Chief Engineer of various cruisers, and extended from Murmansk convoy PQ-17, through the North African invasion at Casablanca, to entry with Halsey's famed 3rd Fleet into Tokyo Bay immediately following V-J Day.

Opting for perpetual mufti and reinforced by a collateral stint in Machinery Design at the USNA-PG School, Jack joined the Design Branch of BuShips in Washington. There he won commendations as Project Officer for the machinery arrangement design of the first post-war Destroyer Escort; and the design of the first modern Propulsion Control Center as prototyped in the initial super-carrier, USS FORRESTAL.

In 1955, he transferred to the Fleet Maintenance Branch of BuShips, where he was charged with administering the Navy's then 100 million dollars per year Ship Modernization Program. Finally, in 1957, he moved on to the Navy Management Office, in the Executive Office of the Secretary of the Navy, where he assisted in facilitating the adaptation of the then newly emerging electronic computer to the solution of complex technical and management problems. Even as he and wife Kathleen qualified for their private pilot licenses after age 50, Jack completed his career as policy director in the office governing the acquisition of computers Navy-wide.

Following retirement, Jack was active both as a volunteer Court Intake Worker and a Case Load Assistant in the Montgomery County Department of Parole and Probation; as the Administrator of the Word of God Institute; and as a volunteer assistant to the Occupational Therapy Director of the University Nursing Home in Wheaten, MD. He served in the latter capacity for more than a decade, being named the Health Facilities Association of Maryland's 1978 Volunteer of the Year. A survivor of two radical open-heart operations, he now resides "very quietly" with his wife in Silver Spring, MD.

The ten children: George (1942), Anne (1947), Charles (1948), Martha (1950), John (1952), Mary (1954), Katie (1955), Monica (1957) and Maureen(1959). Charles is deceased. The kids, plus 18 grandchildren are spread from Kadena AFB (Japan) to Chesapeake Beach, and from Detroit to Tampa. Jack and Kathleen "like it that way."


Robert Wuest

Bob joined SARATOGA in Long Beach in June, 1940. During those memorable 4-1/2 war years on board, he experienced two torpedoings, shared in seven engagements, including the first raid on Rabaul and the Raids on Sabang and Surabaya. In 1942, he married his hometown OAO, Kathryn Mitchell of Redlands, California, in Bremerton. There are four children: Bob Jr., 1945; Donald, 1947; Jack, 1948, and Nancy, 1950. SARATOGA was followed by 1-1/2 years in PROVIDENCE. In 1947, Bob decided to trade his Star for the "Flying Pork Chop" of the Supply Corps. Supply Corps School at Bayonne was a chance to renew his boyhood acquaintances with a motorcycle and to qualify for his private pilot's license. At the Supply Depot, Clearfield, Utah, there was time for quite a bit of hunting, fishing and exploring the inter-mountain area in a Cessna 140. A "dead-stick" landing just out of Albuquerque with Kaye aboard is still a highlight. Next, as the "Pay" of CURTISS in 1950, Bob "seaplane-tended" in Iwakuni, Japan, and "AEC-tended" in Eniwetok for "Operation Greenhouse." After duty at Pt. Mugu and Guam, Bob became a Logistics Planner for MATS Headquarters Staff in Washington. For the last year of his integrated tour as Chief of the Logistics Plans Division, he was awarded the Air Force Commendation Medal. His final assignment before retiring was Assistant Supply Officer for the Naval Shipyard, Boston.

After one of Boston's winters, Hawaii was the place for them, and they settled at 158 Kuupua, Kailua, Oahu. The years of retirement were good; Kaye is still living in the home they bought when they arrived in Kailua in 1959! During his 13-1/2 years with Equitable Life Assurance Association, Bob enjoyed the different life-style, the caring for people and the flexibility. His life of flying was expressed by continuing to earn different licenses. He was building his own Baby Ace and was a member of the Experimental Flying Club. His love of sailing also stayed with him all his life. He was the Trophy Master for the Transpac races from 1961-1973. Donald, their 2nd son, inherited this passion. He's been involved with the Transpac races, and went with Dennis Conner to Australia and San Diego as a member of the Maintenance Crew in the America's Cup races.

Bob's health began to deteriorate in 1969, and on August 25, 1973, he died at home of a cardiac arrest. His ashes were scattered over his beloved Kailua Bay as he had wished. He lived to see three of their children married, met 3 step-grandchildren, held his baby granddaughter and knew another grandchild was expected. His family always meant a lot to him. He was truly a 4.0 gentleman.